Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Style Inspiration: Children's Books

I have always been a fan of British literature, such as Peter Pan and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. These were my favorite books to read growing up, and probably have influenced many of my decisions to this day. I am happy to see that in the Spring Peter Pan styled collars have made a comeback, but there is so much more than collars. Typically, I like play with jewelry and color when it comes to my personal styling choices, so why not use my favorite childhood memories as inspiration?

J.M. Barrie's story, Peter Pan, is a wonderful story about having to realize that you are growing up. In the original story, Mrs. Darling has a secret kiss on the side of her cheek that nobody can ever get. At the end of the story, we learn that Wendy was that secret kiss. This necklace from LoveNailTree reminds me of a mother's love for her child, the wonderful memories of learning about boys, and  the meaning of kisses.



The Little Mermaid may have been first written by a Danish writer, but it's still one of my favorites. I recently purchased this bracelet and have been using it almost everyday. I love that it reminds me of one of my favorite movies/stories as a child, without being too childish.



Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a wonderful story about a child who dreams of a magical land because she is bored. Alice reminds me of rainy days at home, playing croquet, or coming up with a new game to play with my siblings, but most importantly the importance of tea. Tea is the most important tradition in my house because it's the way women in my family bond. My mother and I still have afternoon tea whenever I'm home, and it's a tradition I miss. This necklace reminds me the simplicity of our tradition, but how meaningful it is to us and the history behind it. 


-C





1 comment:

  1. This book is absolutely beautiful the illustrations are wonderful and the cover and edging give it a really magic feel! I love the lovely story of Peter Pan but love it even more flicking through the pages of such a lovely crafted book.The Equation book

    ReplyDelete